Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Beginnings

Yesterday we received Maggie's homeschool curriculum. It came in 2 huge boxes that weighed 40 pounds. It was a lot to take in all at once.

She is doing the K12 program through Washington Online School. The K12 program is quite expensive, but doing through WOSU makes it free, since it's a public school. Nice, huh?

And now that I've seen how much crap, uh, I mean stuff, comes with the K12, I can understand why it's so pricey.

So we've had 2 days of lessons. We've breezed through 4 math lessons no problem. The language arts is a little trickier, since Maggie isn't super confident in her reading skills yet. The phonics kit helps, but honestly, it's not what I was hoping for when it came to homeschooling.

It's more like school at home. There are worksheets and whiteboards, and sight word cards, and things of that nature. Not that I don't think those things are wonderful when it comes to learning, I just had this image of it being more like Maggie learning what she wants, when she wants, and not such a rigid schedule.

I know these first few days or weeks will be tough with all the adjustments, and I know we will find our groove and decide how much of which lesson we really need to focus on, but until then, I just hope she and I can muddle through and find that enjoyment.

I'm grateful to have her at home with me. I know she needs to be here, and I know I'm doing the right thing when it comes to her education. I just have to keep telling myself that.

1 comment:

  1. I have just begun the K12 program through Utah Virtual Academy with my oldest who is in Kindergarten. Not totally what I expected either but so nice that we don't have to pay for anything!

    ReplyDelete